"Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty—and I am not talking about the process of cleaning the rooms of your teenage children." Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Cubed Steaks



This was my favorite thing that my Grandma Jardine made. I did change a few things but it's basically the same.
And I find this funny, but I never make mashed potatoes and gravy. My family doesn't really dig 'em. So I called my sister, Suzie to see what's the best way to do the gravy. She said her mother-in-law adds Cream of Mushroom Soup to hers and she loves it. She was right, it was awesome! My hubby who is not a fan of gravy loved it. Thanks Suz!

Cubed Steaks:
4 Cubed Steaks
Flour
Egg Wash
Italian Bread Crumbs or crushed cracker crumbs
Vegetable Oil

I like to put the flour, egg wash, and bread crumbs in 3 separate pie tins. Put the vegetable oil in a frying pan and get very hot. While that's heating, cover the cubed steaks in flour, then the egg wash, then the italian bread or cracker crumbs. Brown in the hot oil on both sides. Then place in baking dish. Put in a 350 degree oven and let it finish cooking.

Mashed Potatoes:
4 medium size Russett Potatoes
1/4 Cup Milk
2 Tbsp. Butter

Now you'll make the mashed potatoes. Peel, wash, and cut up the potatoes. Put in a pan with water covering them. Bring to a boil. Cover, turn to low, and set timer for 15 minutes. (Start the gravy) Drain water. Now, you can either use a hand mixer or I use my Kitchen Aid. Add about 1/4 cup of milk and about 2 tbsp. of butter. Make sure there are no lumps. Unless of course you like it lumpy. I like mine thicker, too so I don't add much milk.  If you like them a little thinner, add more milk.

Gravy:
Drippings from browning the cubed steaks
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 Cup Flour
1 1/2 Cups Milk
Salt & Pepper to taste

While the potatoes are cooking on the stove, start making the gravy.
Wisk the flour and milk together in a separate bowl. Add all ingredients to the drippings in the frying pan that you used to brown the steaks. Wisk well, and let warm.

I didn't show it in the picture because it's not very pretty but I love the gravy on the cubed steak. Super yummy.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Love that you made your own gravy - looks and sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fried steak! Gravy isn't the most attractive thing, is it, but it sure gets the job done:)

    ReplyDelete