"Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty—and I am not talking about the process of cleaning the rooms of your teenage children." Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Potato Casserole (AKA Shephard's Pie)

Don't run, yet! Give it a chance. I know how people react when they hear certain words. Shephard's Pie, Meatloaf, Casserole, Poison, it's never a good thing. But here's what I say, give it a chance. Not the poison, still run from that. Anyway, I used to be one of those people. Growing up, those words were not in my vocabulary. But now, I welcome them. Sometimes. :)





Ok, I didn't spread the butter out very well on the potatoes and it's a little overcooked, but I swear it's only because I'm a good Mom. I decided to take advantage of this awesome weather (I live in Arizona) and take my kids to the park a lot lately. Which is why I haven't been posting as much. Anyway, I got dinner in the oven and took the kids to the park while it cooked. And no, I didn't leave it completely unattended. My husband was home, but I didn't ask him to keep an eye on it. We stayed later than I planned on, of course, but dinner still tasted great, the top layer of potatoes were just a little crisp.


The bottom layer.

This is my mom's recipe and I LOVE it. Give it a chance, don't shy away until you've tasted it and decided for yourself.

1 lb Hamburger
1 Can Kitchen Cut Green Beans - drained
1 Can Tomato Soup - not sauce, soup
Salt & Pepper to taste
3 Large or 4-5 Medium Russet Potatoes
2 Tbsp. Butter (or Margarine in my case)
Paprika

Mashed Potatoes: Peel potatoes, wash and cut. Put in a pan with water an inch above the potatoes. Bring to a boil, turn heat down to medium low and set timer for 15 minutes. Drain water and mash. Add a little butter or margarine and a little milk or lactose free milk :)  Mash a little more.

Hamburger Mixture: While the potatoes are cooking, brown hamburger. Remove grease. Add beans, tomato soup, and salt and pepper. About 1/2 Tbsp of each. Place hamburger mixture in baking dish. Then add potatoes. Place pieces of butter or margarine on top of the potatoes and then sprinkle with Paprika to your liking. Cook on 350 for about a half an hour until it's completely warmed through.

I really hope you make and enjoy this. It's definitely one of my favorites.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I never had shepherds pie as a kid but I enjoy it now. And meatloaf? It's always been a big favorite of mine. I've never been a casserole hater. Now Poison? Yeah they were an awful hair metal band ;)

    Your shepherds pie looks good, I like my taters a bit crispy.

    ReplyDelete