"Creation brings deep satisfaction and fulfillment. We develop ourselves and others when we take unorganized matter into our hands and mold it into something of beauty—and I am not talking about the process of cleaning the rooms of your teenage children." Dieter F. Uchtdorf

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Pot Stickers



Pot Stickers:
1 pound Ground Pork
1/2 medium head Napa Cabbage (aka Chinese Cabbage)
1 Green Onion
1 tsp. Ginger
1 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. White Sugar
1 tsp. Sesame Oil
2 tsp. Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 package of Won Ton Wrappers

Brown Pork. Drain the fat. Finely chop cabbage and green onion. In a medium size bowl mix browned pork, cabbage, onion, ginger, salt, sugar, sesame oil, soy sauce, and worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Lay out a few won ton wrappers at a time (so they don't dry out) and fill with 1 Tbsp of pork mixture. Using a pastry brush, brush the sides with water. Fold and pinch to seal.

If serving with rice, now would be a good time to start the rice. We prefer sticky rice. But you can use whatever kind you like.

If you want them steamed, get the water hot and then put the potstickers in the top pan of the steamer and let sit for a 5 - 10 minutes.

If you want them browned in a pan, heat 3 Tbsp. of vegetable oil over medium high heat. Place the pot stickers into the oil, seam sides up. Stirring constantly, heat 30 seconds to a minute. Pour 3/4 cups water into the skillet. Gently boil 7 to 8 minutes, until oil and water begin to sizzle, then add 2 Tbsp. of vegetable oil. When the bottoms begin to brown, remove pot stickers from heat.

Dipping Sauce:
3 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
2 drops of Sesame Oil

Mix well.

The steamed pot stickers were my favorite out of the two but I will admit that I didn't fully read the instructions for how to brown the pot stickers. I did them more like egg rolls and fried them in hot oil. They were still good but tasted more like egg rolls than pot stickers.  My bad. But I will say that even my kids, who don't eat much of what I make, loved this and ate this up. I didn't make all of the pot stickers tonight so I put the leftover pork mixture in the fridge and I can make more tomorrow.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment